Technology Department Help Desk Phone Number=610-444-2551
Useful websites: KCSD.org, Connect.kcsd.org, Kennection.kcsd.org
Supervisor of Technology Services: Mr. Dan Maguire
First of all…Welcome to the Kennett Community from the KCSD Technology Department! We hope that you’ll find the Kennett Consolidated School District both enjoyable and challenging.
This page will present a brief overview of the technology currently available to teachers and staff in the District to help promote the learning environment.
Teacher laptops-You have each been issued an Acer Travelmate 17” laptop. These laptops are approximately 2 to 3 years old and feature a touchscreen display, 1 ethernet port, 1 vga port, 3 usb ports, and a cd-rom. You may take these laptops home; however, use should be limited to school-related tasks whenever possible.
Please remember that these laptops are District property, and should be handled with care. We recommend that you purchase the laptop insurance option. Insurance cost for the first year is $50.00. The cost for subsequent years, assuming that there is no damage to the laptop, is $25.00. If the laptop is damaged, the deductible is increased accordingly.
- Do not place or use the laptop near liquids-Neither the Acer warranty or the KCSD laptop insurance will cover the cost to repair damages caused by liquid spills; therefore, you will be responsible to cover the entire cost of the repair! This is normally several hundred dollars.
- Do not place papers, pencils, etc on top of the keyboard. We have had several instances of teachers inadvertently placing these items on the keyboard and closing the lid. Since the laptops are touchscreen, the display glass is thin and will crack.
- Please be careful when plugging/unplugging your charger into the laptop power port.
- Please do not let your children use the laptops.
- Be sure to store laptop in a climate controlled whenever possible and do not leave in your car for an extended period of time.
- Do not leave your laptop unattended in your vehicle.
- Please do not go on shopping sites, as these sites tend to promote viruses, malware, and ransomeware which could result in poor performance and data loss.
- Reboot (restart) your laptop at least once/week.
Student Laptops – Students in the District will use a variety of computer types: in the elementary grades, K thru second grade, they will use Dell Optiplex desktop computers as well as access Chromebooks and laptops; in grades third through eight, they will use Dell Latitude 3330, 3340, 3350 laptops and Chromebooks. In grades nine through twelve, they will use either Dell Optiplex desktops or the above listed laptops. Macbooks and iMac computers are available in the libraries and Art programs, and Dell desktops are used in the STEM curriculum as well as open labs at KHS. Care must be used by the students when using the computers, especially the laptops, and it is expected that staff will carefully monitor student use.
- Whenever possible, students should be assigned the same laptop in class. Assigning the same computer to the same student results in less damage to the laptop as well as increased instructional time due to a decrease in log in time.
- Before placing the laptop back in the cart, a staff member should perform a cursory inspection of the laptop for damage. Please report damage immediately via work order to the Technology Department.
- Students should inform staff members of any damage.
- Be sure students plug the power cord into the power port and not the ethernet port. This will damage the pins in ethernet port and severely limit our ability to image laptops.
- Students must log out at the end of each session
- Laptops/desktops must be rebooted at least once/week
Printing– All printing by teachers and students is done via Regionalized Printer. These printers are strategically placed in the hallways and teacher preparation areas in all schools. The Regionalized printer is selected as the default printer on all teacher and student laptops/desktops. When you have a document to print, simply type your username/ password into the printer and select the document that you would like to print. Documents are retained in printer memory for a period of 24 hours. Note: You can print to any Regionalized printer in the District.
- Passwords-Your login password must consist of 8 characters or more. It is recommended, though not required, that you incorporate alpha-numeric characters into your password. Your password should be a word/phrase that you will remember. If you forget your password, please contact the Tech Department and we will reset it for you.
- Do not tell anyone your password.
- Do not leave sticky notes containing your password(s) on the computer.
- To change your password: While in the District, after logging in, type
- CTRL + ALT+ DELETE.
- Select ‘Change a Password’.
- Type in your old password; type in your new password twice
- Click ‘Save’
- Although at this time not required, passwords should be changed every 90 days.
- Occasionally, while using the Internet, you may receive a message saying that you have a computer virus and the message will ask you to call a certain phone number for help in eliminating the virus. Do Not call this number! Shut down your laptop immediately and call the Technology Department.
- Never give out your phone number or password to anyone who may call requesting this information.
- When you are finished a computer session, log out of the computer.
Workorders-The Technology Department addresses technology related problems, ie, computer, phones, printing, etc., via a work order system in the order they are submitted whenever possible. The system may be accessed via helpdesk.kcsd.org or through links established in Connect or Kennection. After logging into the workorder system, simply complete the dropdown textboxes and click ‘Save’.
For help in submitting work orders, please contact the Technology Department Help Desk and we will schedule a time for training.
Smartboards/Polyvision Boards-You may or may not have an interactive board (Smartboard or Polyvision Board) in your classroom. We will gladly assist you in setting up the board (connecting the board to your laptop) and provide training in using the board. Simply submit a workorder indicating a date/time that you will be available for training.
Training–The Technology Department offers a variety of on-demand training sessions. Some of the topics include:
- Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Outlook (mail client)
- GoogleDocs/ Google Drive
- Google Classroom
There is also a list of tutorial links at Kennection Tutorials.
Initiatives–The Technology Department is beginning many new initiatives for the 2017-18 school year. A summary of these initiates can be viewed at What’s New for 2017-18.
Technology Applications–The determination of need for new technology (student laptops, projectors, interactive boards, etc.,) is based on an application process that is created and submitted by all teachers in a Department (eg., English or Science or Mathematics) in the Middle and High Schools and by grade level teachers at the Elementary schools, (District-wide). The Application can be viewed/downloaded at KCSD Technology Application. Applications must be completed and submitted (shared) with Dan by March 1, 2018.
The application is reviewed and either accepted or declined by the Supervisor of Technology Services.
Take a look at the April 4th Induction Solution Session, a roundtable discussion for newly-hired teachers focusing on personialized learning for students.